Sunday, October 20, 2013

Soylent Bell

You like Taco Bell?  Hey, who doesn't, especially since some marketing genius decided they should make taco shells out of Doritos chip flavors like Cool Ranch and the ubiquitous Nacho Cheese.  Brilliant!

Ever wonder about the meat in those tacos,though?  Apparently, Taco Bell prefers to call it "Taco Meat Filling" and, according to this post from, only about 36% of that "meat filling" is actually, you know, meat (in this case, beef).  The other 64% is stuff like, "water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin (a polysaccharide that is absorbed as glucose), soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate."

Yum-my, right?

I predict we are about seven years before Taco Bell, and fast food joints in general, goes full on Soylent Green on us.  

 And, as usual, the American public will just shrug and order fries on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment